Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

Which topic should we discuss during our next live episode

Best Movie Sequel
18 (56.3%)
Best Comedy TV Show
7 (21.9%)
Best Comedy Duo/Trio
2 (6.3%)
Hottest Geek Chick
5 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: March 30, 2009, 11:44:12 AM

Author Topic: Episode 34 Reviews  (Read 9179 times)

Joe

• The Podgefather
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • josephlselby.com
    • View Profile
    • http://josephlselby.com
Episode 34 Reviews
« on: March 15, 2009, 11:44:12 AM »
The episode doesn't drop for another 10+ hours but it turns out you can't edit a thread and add a poll, so the thread I started the other day was pretty worthless (I deleted it to avoid confusion). In episode 34 we offer the chance for you the listener to choose the topic of our next live episode (Tuesday, March 31st @ 20:00 EDT [GMT-5]). Choose one of the four above. Whichever one receives the most votes is the topic we will throw into the Thunderdome (or Thunderpodge or Podgedome, whatever). You may only vote once and once you've voted you can't change, so choose wisely.
JosephLSelby.com, my professional writing website

What?! That would hurt and taste delicious at the same time! --TrapCast_Sara

keithcurtis

• The Man
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • Fascinating...
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio and Commissions
Re: Episode 34 Reviews
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:13:39 PM »
I'm curious as to what the hosts will decide upon.

My prediction is that none of the comedy series nominees will be over 20 years old, 25 at the outside, so they can include the Cosby Show.  Nevertheless, there has been a lot of good comedy TV. No one will mention or care for the Mary Tyler Moore Show or the Dick Van Dyke Show.

Geek chicks I can't really answer to. Hollywood "Hot Chicks" all tend to look alike to me. Hearing a podcast of gushing horniness doesn't sound that appealing.

I might be able to relate to best movie sequel. This seems to have the greatest range of appeal and greatest potential for violent disagreement.

Best comedy duo/trio will be fine, as long as it is Abbot and Costello. "Who's on First" is the funniest routine ever written anywhere by anybody.

But I'm sure it will be lively conversation, no matter what you choose.

Joe

• The Podgefather
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • josephlselby.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 03:50:03 AM »

My prediction is that none of the comedy series nominees will be over 20 years old, 25 at the outside

Having already made my list for all the potential categories, I will gladly take this bet. :)

Joe

• The Podgefather
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • josephlselby.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 03:53:54 AM »

Best comedy duo/trio will be fine, as long as it is Abbot and Costello. "Who's on First" is the funniest routine ever written anywhere by anybody.

A single skit does not the greatest make. Who's on First is the funniest bit ever, but Lou and Bud still have to contend with Laurel and Hardy, Martin and Lewis, the Three Stooges, the Marx Brothers, the Smothers Brothers, Benny and Allen, etc etc. There have been some great comedic acts over the decades.

Perfect Bebop

• Outhouse Haunt
    • View Profile
    • The C-List Podcast
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 04:28:38 AM »
I voted for best movie sequel, though I do think that a fine contender for topic would be best spinoff to a tv series.  I mean, who doesn't like Jonie loves Chachie?

FraserRonald

• Hosts
  • Outhouse Attendant
    • View Profile
    • Sword's Edge Publishing
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 04:51:16 AM »
Gotta be best movie sequels! I mean, Bond will win, right? From Russia With Love was much better than Dr. No, which was also a great movie.  ;D

And hottest geek chick is worthless without pics . . . which doesn't really work with a podcast.

david

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:15:28 AM »

A single skit does not the greatest make. Who's on First is the funniest bit ever, but Lou and Bud still have to contend with Laurel and Hardy, Martin and Lewis, the Three Stooges, the Marx Brothers, the Smothers Brothers, Benny and Allen, etc etc. There have been some great comedic acts over the decades.

Fry and Laurie are also in the mix.

Joe

• The Podgefather
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • josephlselby.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 08:10:10 AM »
I started to say "Who?" but then I realized if we do that topic, we should probably discuss that on the air, so the question is retracted.

lachlain

• Outhouse Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 08:38:09 AM »

Fry and Laurie are also in the mix.

Haven't seen A Bit of Fry and Laurie in years.  Now I need to go and torrent that!
Well I know, I miss more than hit
With a face that was launched to sink
An' I seldom feel, the bright relief
It's been the Worst Day Since Yesterday

~ Flogging Molly

keithcurtis

• The Man
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • Fascinating...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »
I started to say "Who?" but then I realized if we do that topic, we should probably discuss that on the air, so the question is retracted.
I know who they are, but I've never seen them on their own.

keithcurtis

• The Man
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • Fascinating...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:57:34 AM »

That's true. I was being glib, or at least a bit flippant. Martin and Lewis were big favorites when I was a kid. Never was as much a fan of Stan and Ollie, Ditto any Marx Brother but Groucho. The Three (or more, depending on how you count) Stooges are also great, but a kind of humor I can only take in small doses. Smothers Brothers, now. I might have to change my vote. I loves me my Tom and Dick. Also, did you mean to type Burns and Allen? Or were you meaning Fred Allen? I never really thought of them as a duo.

keithcurtis

• The Man
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • Fascinating...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 10:58:30 AM »

My prediction is that none of the comedy series nominees will be over 20 years old, 25 at the outside

Having already made my list for all the potential categories, I will gladly take this bet. :)
Well now my interest is piqued and I might change my vote.

keithcurtis

• The Man
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • Fascinating...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:59:29 AM »
Gotta be best movie sequels! I mean, Bond will win, right? From Russia With Love was much better than Dr. No, which was also a great movie.  ;D
Well, seeing as Dr. No is the only Bond film I have liked out of the handful I have seen, this makes me very interested.

Joe

• The Podgefather
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • josephlselby.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »
Smothers Brothers, now. I might have to change my vote. I loves me my Tom and Dick. Also, did you mean to type Burns and Allen? Or were you meaning Fred Allen? I never really thought of them as a duo.

I think because the Smothers Brothers came after the vaudeville migration but before the modern era, they've kind of been lost to current generations of comedy enthusiasts. They have some great comedy and are a great example of how profanity isn't necessary to be funny.

And I meant Jack Benny and Fred Allen. While they had individual shows, their "rivalry" was one of the great faux conflicts in early television history. They had great sketches together.

Luke

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.podgecast.com
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 11:59:43 AM »
Hey, Hey, Hey!  Save it for the podcast, guys!

I'll agree with Joe, though.  Several of my comedy picks are from long before my birth.  The Three Stooges, The Marx Brothers...comedy like that is absolutely timeless.
"Everything I do is the attitude of an award winner because I've won an award.." - Ron Swanson