Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Order of Podcasts  (Read 5792 times)

Joe

• The Podgefather
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • josephlselby.com
    • View Profile
    • http://josephlselby.com
Order of Podcasts
« on: October 05, 2009, 09:03:07 AM »
I've been considering the order of how podcasts are listed on the forums for awhile. While it requires more work, I would prefer to see the shows ordered by the total number of posts in their respective forums. None of the people here (other than Phil ;)) strike me as the kind of people to spam their forums, and as a user, I would prefer the higher-volume shows to appear higher on the list. It gives some incentive to those low-volume shows to encourage listeners to come participate in the forums as well.
JosephLSelby.com, my professional writing website

What?! That would hurt and taste delicious at the same time! --TrapCast_Sara

keithcurtis

• The Man
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • Fascinating...
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio and Commissions
Re: Order of Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 09:28:48 AM »
Having accessed the main page on the laptop monitor, I can attest that it is sometimes difficult to get to the shows at the bottom of the list.

david

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 09:45:07 AM »
I'll cross-post.  I'm going to try and get to them today/tonight.  There are a few things I need to implement on the server anyway, so this is as good a time as any.

Scott

• Wielder of the Shtick
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
    • http://storyshtick.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »
But then, how will we know the order in which shows joined SOP? I have seniority and I'm not afraid to throw it around!!!

Nah, I'm joking. I like the forum and I'd like to have more conversations about my show here, but I have a direct link to my show's sub-forum on my site. If anyone actually wants to comment, I'm not worried about them finding the right spot.
Story Shtick: Actual play podcast of Story Games - edited for your entertainment!  Story Shtick on Twitter

Rib

• Hosts
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
    • 16bit Gamers
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:40:55 PM »
finally kitdb will be on top, I'm not comfortable with that... especially not with Chris involved.
16bit Gamers : Hit it, hit it like a red-haired step-child!

keithcurtis

• The Man
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • Fascinating...
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio and Commissions
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:39:49 PM »
You could order shows by number of episodes. This would reward content contribution. Of course, this might also place a dreadful handicap on new shows...

Rib

• Hosts
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
    • 16bit Gamers
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 03:06:18 AM »
at the moment when a new show is added, they are placed at the bottom of the list so really it'll happen either way.

david

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 01:41:02 PM »
finally kitdb will be on top, I'm not comfortable with that... especially not with Chris involved.

No, TPC would still be on the top.  They have a larger post count on the front page because it doesn't add the subforums, which we use for our episodes, etc. 

;)

Rib

• Hosts
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
    • 16bit Gamers
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 11:39:27 PM »
yeah I meant on top of DUG0 (new episode coming very soon PIMP!) sorry about that.

RobJustice

• Does A Bear Swarm Poop In The Outhouse?
  • Phantom of the Outhouse
  • www.BearSwarm.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bearswarm.com
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 10:33:42 AM »
I've always been curious about how the order was decided. Like, Bear Swarm is in the Forum Links but we actually have posts here and not just a re-direct to our primary boards... Don't really care WHERE we are, just always curious as to why we were shunned from the main page, haha.

I do like having open forum here and not just a re-direct though. The more places to connect to fans the better, right?

david

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 10:41:32 AM »
Actually, I keep it that way because you have your own forums that get a shitload more use.  This forum is getting long .

Reduction in the length of the forum is one of the things I've tried to get to in the last few months.  In TPC's forum, we even removed the subforums so 1.) all the posts are in one spot so I don't have to drill and 2.) it gives me another 20px off the total length.

I can move it if you prefer.  Aside from concerns listed above, I don't really care.

RobJustice

• Does A Bear Swarm Poop In The Outhouse?
  • Phantom of the Outhouse
  • www.BearSwarm.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bearswarm.com
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 10:47:35 AM »
Actually, I keep it that way because you have your own forums that get a shitload more use.  This forum is getting long .
I'm not sure if shitload is the proper metric. More use, yes... but shitload... eeeehhh. Our boards are pretty quiet most of the time.
I can move it if you prefer.  Aside from concerns listed above, I don't really care.
Like I said in the previous post, I don't really care where it is. I doubt moving it to the front page would help it see more traction.

One idea might be to make every podcast a child of a master "Podcasts" board. I can't remember if SMF truncates the Child Boards list though. Not sure if it'd work, but if it doesn't truncate then you'd still have single click access to every show on the front page without the extended descriptions and whatnot.

Just a thought.

Tony

• Undead Outhouse Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 02:31:20 PM »
Not that I mind too terribly, because we are actually getting some traction on our portion of the forum, but it would be nice if we showed a climb in the rankings, just to get even more visibility and potentially more traffic, especially when there are podcasts/forums that have either podfaded or have been abandoned/seldom used.

Luke

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.podgecast.com
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »
I've noticed a lot of the new forums are getting more traffic than the longstanding shows. I'm going to move the more active forums up where they're more visible.
"Everything I do is the attitude of an award winner because I've won an award.." - Ron Swanson

david

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 07:43:10 AM »
What are you basing 'more traffic' on?  Number of posts?  Most recent posts?