Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trouble Downloading?  (Read 2507 times)

JOHNKELLY

• Outhouse Attendant
  • The Jank Host
    • View Profile
    • The Jank Cast
Trouble Downloading?
« on: December 17, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »
Okay, we here at the Jank Cast are what you would call,"technically savvy." And despite all our best efforts we can't fix the problem people sometimes still have trouble downloading our episodes via iTunes. We have found a temporary solution to this problem.

If you have trouble getting one of our episodes, go to www.jankcast.com and then retry the download.

It should work after that. If not please send me an email, johnkelly@jankcast.com and I'll see if something worse is going on. Other comments about technical issues or suggests on what our problem might be can go bellow.
The Jank Cast A podcast about Roleplaying Games, Board Games and general Geek Culture.

david

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble Downloading?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 10:31:55 AM »
Getting your download thing to work properly is a three step process, though it's pretty technical.

1.) Cut a hole in the box.
2.) Put your junk in that box.
3.) Get the listener to open the box.

Alternatively...

You're on a grid hosting account.  You can migrate to a non-grid hosting account, assuming Godaddy will let you do so automatically.  Otherwise, you'd have to do it manually.  To do so manually:

1.) Get a regular hosting account.
2.) Migrate all your files over. 
3.) Migrate your database over.
4.) Update all your database connections.
5.) Migrate your domain name over to the new site.

It's a lot less complicated than it sounds, I assure you.  :)

JOHNKELLY

• Outhouse Attendant
  • The Jank Host
    • View Profile
    • The Jank Cast
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:35:17 AM »
I'd like to correct your first solution. It goes:

1.) Cut a hole in the box.
2.) Put your jank in that box.
3.) Get the listener to open the box.

Also, just to show how technical I am, when reading your post, I thought that this might be lingo for some crazy programing thing. No joke.
The Jank Cast A podcast about Roleplaying Games, Board Games and general Geek Culture.

david

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:58:03 AM »
I'll stand corrected on the first solution.  I mistyped, clearly.

The second solution, though, I think it the proper way to handle it.  I have a grid hosting account with Godaddy, too.  It doesn't host any SOP related stuff, but I have the same problem.  If I navigate to the url, sometimes it tells me it's unavailable and I have to refresh the browser several times before it will come up at all.

I fought with them about it.  The problem has gotten better - but hasn't gone away yet.

keithcurtis

• The Man
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • Fascinating...
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio and Commissions
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 12:30:58 PM »
What's the difference between a grid hosting account and a non-grid hosting account? I have a hosting account and some domain names registered with Godaddy? Am I grid or non-grid? What does this mean?? Panic setting in!! Aaaaaaaah!!!!

Ahuh-ahuh-ahuh.

I'm OK now.

But I am curious.

david

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 01:07:44 PM »
Allocation of resources.  Most hosting is done on virtual machines that are running several instances of lightweight operating systems virtually.  So one box hosts several 'servers'. 

Grid hosting is that on a larger scale, only instead of one box, there's 20 and instead of ten client machines per 1 box, they collectively host 100 (numbers are nowhere near to scale). 

Anywho, most web servers don't actually consume a lot of resources.  Sure, there are times when they're more busy or not, but you'd be surprised how often servers just sit there doing nothing.  So, to conserve that time, the grid hosting software deallocates resources to the machine.   During the busy time, with the combined processing power of 10 or so big machines, it can more easily and appropriately scale to demand.

I've often felt that Godaddy's grid hosting plans deallocate TOO many resources from servers, requiring them to restart their web instances, keeping the page from loading immediately.  I just checked my other server, one no one should be going to, and it seemed up on the first try.

keithcurtis

• The Man
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • Fascinating...
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio and Commissions
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 05:12:51 PM »
Huh. I simply bought a hosting plan. Nobody told me nothin' 'bout this. I'm always the last to know.

spacey

• Outhouse Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 01:00:02 PM »
Not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but I felt I should mention it. I can't download any of the double digit casts. Episode 100 was the last one I found which had a working download link. Anyone have some advice on this?

Motipha

• Outhouse Attendant
    • View Profile
    • www.jankcast.com
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 10:02:55 AM »
Hey Spacey,

Yeah, that's my fault.  We moved our hosting away from goDaddy, and I have yet to transfer all the episodes over.  It's getting there, slow but sure, but there's a way's to go.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Swingin' it like a dipthong.

spacey

• Outhouse Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 01:02:53 PM »
Thanks Motipha!

They are all working now, more Janky goodness!.

Glad to hear the migration has gone well.