Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [Blood Bowl PC] Tablesaw's League Season 4  (Read 9564 times)

Brad

• Latrine Zombie
    • View Profile
[Blood Bowl PC] Tablesaw's League Season 4
« on: October 21, 2010, 11:17:57 PM »
* In order to play the games you must register your team in the 'Auld World League' which is the open league within the Cyanide multiplayer client.  Once you do that you can search for your opponent and challenge them as normal.

Kick off is this Friday night in the US (tomorrow for those not paying attention).  Keep in mind that you are limited to playing 2 league matches in a single week.  The start of each match week will fall on Monday (always assume US) so you can consider this weekend as a bonus start  ;D

Week 1. November 5th - 7th
Week 2. November 8th - 14th
Week 3. November 15th - 21st

So on and so forth.

A lot of the coaches spend their time hanging out in the Spooky Outhouse Chat Room which is a good place to find someone to organise a match with, as well as being a hotbed of tactical discussion and home of the braggart.

Beginning in week 3 will be the start of the yet to be named Stunty Cup.  Details (and name!) to follow over the next few days.  I'm aiming for it to be a 1 match per week commitment, so let me know if you're interested.

I probably don't need to add this but I will for the sake of it.  We're using Legendary Edition.

Joining the League

Step 1: Make a new team.
Step 2: Fill out the application form below and post it in this thread.
Step 3: Players may challenge other players at any time and set up the match. All matches must use classic turn-based rules with default values.
Step 4: Game reports should be submitted to the League database in the Blood Bowl Manager.

Application
Blood Bowl Account Name:
Team name:
Preferred abbreviation (3 letters max):
Race:
Starting TV:

Finding the league in Blood Bowl Manager

Get Blood Bowl Manager. Make sure you click on Blood Bowl Legendary Edition. Open up the 'Leagues' tab and make sure that the filter is set to 'in progress leagues'.  Each League has an ID code, ours is 2196.  Order the list by ID (click the tab) and scroll down until you find it.  Once you have a team in the league it will appear in the list by using the 'my leagues' filter thus eliminating the need to scroll through every time.

Uploading your match.

1. Hit the 'Submit Match' button near the top left of screen.  This opens up a new box.
2. The program will automatically detect the last replay file, named by date and time.  Double check it is correct.
3. Select Tablesaw's League Season 2 in the 'League' box.
4. Make sure the teams are correct.  Type in coach names if they don't appear (you'll have to the first time).
5. Leave 'Days' at 1.  It's a grouping function that will come in handy during finals.
6. There is no password so leave it blank.
7. Hit submit and you're done.

Note: Only one coach needs to do this after the match.  I would also suggest that you upload the result before exiting the game.  If you start a new game it will wipe the information that BBM requires.  In the event that you do this, the solution is to replay the game in Blood Bowl (ie load up the replay and let it run until it ends).  This reloads a lot of the information needed but it is known to be buggy, so it should only be considered as a last resort.  Anyone using the 'New Wave' AI mod will need to replace the main.db file with the original.  The mod has been known to cause errors with BBM as well as causing problems in the multiplayer game as well.

Under the 'Matchs' tab (complete without 'e') you will find a list of the league matches that have been uploaded.  Double click on yours and it open the Match Details and Statistics window.  There is a drop down menu next to the words 'Generate Match Report.  Select Table (BBcode) English.  click the generate button.

Copy everything that appears in the new window and post it on the forum.  Too easy

Rules are:

1. You must enter with a brand new team.
2. You may only play other people in the league.
3. You may only play 2 league matches in a week.
4. You may only play any other given team in the league with a given team of yours twice per regular season.
5. You may not play more than 10 games with any given team of yours in a regular season.
6. You may make one additional team for league play once your first team has played 6 games.
7. It is the right of any coach to refuse a match (WE's with a Dwarf, Chaos, Chaos, Dwarf run of games is hardly much fun) but you are encouraged to take on all manner of team builds, regardless of whether they are claw wielding maniacs or soft, hippy tree huggers.  The golden rule is to use common sense and your own judgement.  If you honestly wouldn't accept the match if the teams were reversed, don't offer the challenge.  If your opponent is happy to play, just pray to Nuffle that they don't flog you and parade the momentous victory to all.
8. Have fun.

Rules playoffs:

1. Playoffs will begin at a minimum of one month from the commencement of the regular season and only when half the teams have reached 8 games.
2. Playoffs will be single-elimination bracket style. If there are extra teams for a bracket, the top teams will have a "bye" week.
3. Brackets will be seeded using a priority system to allow for games during the season to influence the playoff.
4. If a coach has multiple teams, he must choose which team to use; his other teams will be removed for seeding purposes.
5. This is Blood Bowl. Anything goes. Don't be afraid to foul, knock out of bounds, or crush and destroy your opponent. There is no reward in mercy. If the game allows it, it's a valid strategy.
6. Any team entering the play-offs must have completed at least 4 games in the current season or be an entirely new team.

The priority system will work using the following priorities:

1. Games played (maximum considered 4). For teams with 4 or more games, this will be ignored; teams with less than 4 games will be placed below teams with 6 or more games played.
2. Win/Draw/Loss
3. Head-to-head record (if available)
4. Randomly seeded.

Newbie Mulligan: If, after playing one game you find that your team does not play like you intended you may retire your original team and begin a new one. This will reset your record, but the game you played still counts for your opponent.  You may only do this once.

Team List

Brisbane Drop Bears - Elf  - Smerbev (Brad)
Better Than You -  High Elf  - Korror
Grimnir's Banhammer - Dwarf - Stingray02
Pumpkin Pushers - Goblin - Juriel
Rostov's Roughnecks - Norse - Zombie_Nixon (Jim Brown)
Veni Vidi Vomiti - Nurgle - wapcaplets
Death by Snu Snu - Amazon - Deatharea
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:11:48 PM by Brad »

Brad

• Latrine Zombie
    • View Profile
Re: [Blood Bowl PC] Tablesaw's League Season 4
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 11:18:15 PM »

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:24:42 PM by Brad »

Mikel

• Friendly Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:20:30 PM »
I would love to play if the pace isn't as insane as it was last time.  I'm probably only good for 2 games a week or so with my schedule.

Brad

• Latrine Zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:10:05 PM »
I would love to play if the pace isn't as insane as it was last time.  I'm probably only good for 2 games a week or so with my schedule.

That's one issue that I'm definitely addressing thanks to the feedback from the last time out.  I can already confirm that there will be a Stunty Cup Competition to occupy some of the more eager players.  I'm also considering a cap on the number of league games that you can play in a week.

Joe

• The Podgefather
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • josephlselby.com
    • View Profile
    • http://josephlselby.com
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 05:27:24 AM »
I'm in.
JosephLSelby.com, my professional writing website

What?! That would hurt and taste delicious at the same time! --TrapCast_Sara

deatharea

• Outhouse Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 03:48:15 PM »
I'm sure I can find some time to play a game or two a week. Im in.

StingRay

• Centenniel Outhouse-r!
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
    • The Way of the Game
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 07:48:12 PM »
I've got my copy.
Can't say more. Joe says I have to write.

Stingray's my dawg. - keithcurtis

The Way of the Game Podcast - Enlightenment, one game at a time.

wapcaplets

• Wapcapper
  • Friendly Ghost
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wapcaplets.net
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:08:37 AM »
Account name: wapcaplets
Team: Veni Vidi Vomiti
Team race: Nurgle
Abbreviation: VVV
Starting TV: 1,000,000
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 06:10:00 PM by wapcaplets »

Brad

• Latrine Zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 07:20:12 PM »
Application

Blood Bowl Account Name: Smerbev
Team name: Brisbane Drop Bears
Preferred abbreviation (3 letters max): BDB
Race: Elf
Starting TV: 1000

Korror

• Outhouse Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 01:14:52 PM »
Hello again everyone,

Blood Bowl Account Name: Korror
Team name: Better Than You
Preferred abbreviation  BTY
Race: High Elf

StingRay

• Centenniel Outhouse-r!
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
    • The Way of the Game
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:58:48 PM »
Blood Bowl Account Name: StingRay02
Team Name: Grimnir's Banhammer
Abbrev.: GBH
Race: Dwarf
Starting TV: 1030

Haven't had time to mess with the other races, so I'll stick with what worked for me last season.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 09:17:04 PM by StingRay »
Can't say more. Joe says I have to write.

Stingray's my dawg. - keithcurtis

The Way of the Game Podcast - Enlightenment, one game at a time.

Brad

• Latrine Zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 04:49:32 PM »
This is a very rough overview of the new teams in LE.  It may help if you're stuck trying to decide on a team.  If you want any advice, just hit me up on Twitter (Smerbev), email or PM me.

Norse - Very strong starters thanks to the abundance of block, offset lightly by the AV7.  These guys tend to fall foul of more experienced teams when wrestle/block becomes more common.  You'll be looking at a running game to score while on defense you can almost guarantee that no one is going to go anywhere near the sidelines thanks to all that frenzy. 

Amazon - Another really good starting team (assuming that you aren't up against their nemesis, the Dwarfs.  Everyone has dodge and your 4 Blitzers all start with Blodge.  AV7 is the big negative as well as the lack of big guy or any player with movement greater than 6.  Once again you'll be looking at the running game and winning more than your fair share of fights until tackle and mighty blow become more common place.

Undead - One of the best teams over a short term league (such as a season of Tablesaw) thanks to a combination of two S5 mummies, two blitzer Wights and up to four MV7, Dodging Ghouls.  The team is rounded out by cheap linemen who are great for tying up the opposition.  Everyone except the ghouls comes with regeneration.  A solid team who can run the ball effectively and also win out in a slug fest against all but the bashiest teams.

Necromantic - The Undead's cousin who prefers the light of the full moon.  You still get the Wights and two Ghouls but you lose out on the S5 Mummies for a pair of S4 Flesh Golems.  Not a great trade but the two Werewolves go a long way towards making up for it.  A statline of 8338 with Frenzy, Claw and Regeneration make the Werewolves one of the more effective players in Blood Bowl.  Once they have block they become a nightmare for the opposition.  They're more well rounded than the Undead with a tendency towards a more agile style of play.

Khemri - Do you want FOUR S5 Mummies?  No one else wants you to.  Thankfully they don't have General access anymore, so you'll work hard to get block on them.  Regardless this team is still a killer.  Skeletons are your lineman while you also have access to a pair of Thro-Ras and Blitz-Ras.  AG2 is your highest but the Thro-Ras at least come with Sure Hands, so you'll be looking at them to do the ball carrying.  They also have pass but I don't think anyone advises that as a play style.

Nurgle - A slower Chaos team that has access to Regeneration on their positionals.  The Warriors aren't as agile or fast as their traditional counter part but they have both Disturbing Presence and Foul Appearance to make up for it.  The Beast is a big guy that can keep key players stuck at it's side thanks to tentacles.  Rotters are cheap gap fillers that will die in droves but Nurgles Rot gives you the chance to generate new ones when you kill an enemy.  This is a grinding team that will naturally hinder any type of passing game.  They can be difficult to get the hang of.

High Elf - These are the rich guys of the Blood Bowl world.  They're a well balanced team with AV8 on everyone except their four Catchers (who incidentally are one of the best Catchers in the game).  They have arguably the best Thrower in the game with AG4 and both Pass & Safe Throw to ensure that you can pitch it from most places on the field.  Very solid but expensive.

Elf - Four of the very best catchers in the game.  The same as their High Elf counterparts except for costing 10K more and starting with Nerves of Steel.  S3 means that the opposition will need to devote more players to effectively take them down and a simple marking job is useless thanks to NoS ignoring the negative modifier for catching in a tackle zone.  Their positionals are expensive and you've got a bunch of AV7 running around but you should be able to outscore most teams.

Halflings - The worst team in Blood Bowl.  5236 is a miserable statline for your linemen but at least you get two Treemen!  This is a team for experienced coaches who want a challenge.  Positioning is absolutely critical. 

Ogres - You get up to six Ogres, which is cool.  You have to fill the rest of the roster with Snotlings, who are even worse than Halflings, which is not so cool.  Another team for someone who wants a challenge.  You'll be bashing things and relying on one or two Ogres geared towards ball handling to carry the day.  The Snotlings pretty much get in the way and provide assists.

Vampires - The last of the 'challenging' teams.  Vampires are brilliant BB players and you can have six of them.  The thralls are cheaper human linemen with AV7.  You'll want your Vampires to do the scoring and killing but you'll need to deal with the Blood Lust rule which can have them sinking their teeth into the Thralls to avoid a turnover and being taken off the pitch.  This can be one of the more frustrating teams to play with. 

Korror

• Outhouse Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »
Do you think there's enough interest for season 4? I think we really need ~10 teams to have enough teams for everyone to have games and still account for attrition when life forces people to drop out. There might be some more interest on the RPGnet forums but I doubt more than 2-3 people would join up from there.

Brad

• Latrine Zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »
I know of at least 4 people who have stated interest over Twitter but are yet to post up a team here.  They know what's coming to them  ;D

Seriously though, if we have four people or twenty people, Season 4 goes ahead.  I'll just change up the format to give us something that will work to suit the numbers if needs be.  This league is always open to anyone who wants to join, regardless of whether they are already fans of any podcast in the SO.  They just need to abide by the 'Don't be a dick' rule and we'll get on fine.  Feel free to advertise it. 

Juriel

• Undead Outhouse Attendant
  • fluffy kittens brought me victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 01:43:24 PM »
You know I'm in. Since giving myself a handicap by playing Humans last time around didn't work out, I need to gimp myself harder. So my options are Ogres, Halflings, Goblins and Vamps. Hmm.

Blood Bowl Account Name: Juriel
Team name: Pumpkin Pushers
Preferred abbreviation (3 letters max): PUP
Race: Goblin

What can I say? I find Bombardier hi-la-ri-ous.