Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A few rules quibbles...  (Read 3086 times)

Mega Armoured Northener

• Outhouse Attendant
    • View Profile
A few rules quibbles...
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
Hey there fellas. I'm the newly minted chairman of the University of Sheffield Wargamers (thats UK btw boys!), and one of my goals for next year is to get more current students into the club (we've got a few too many oldies atm!). So one of my ideas was to get a game that new members can come in to play for free, without the massive sort of investment that 40k entails...so I'm gonna give Iron Tyrants a shot! Well, I already own the book, so this is also a way to force people to play with me!  ;D

So, now that the intro is out of the way...

I've been reading the rules a bit more closely and thought I'd get a few little things cleared up:

Repairing Tyrants (page 116)

How have you guys played it if a Tyrant has it's chasis destroyed during a mission, but the movement and armour is untouched? Would you class it as being completely destroyed so you'd need 3RP + 1RP for each weapon to repair it? The alternative seems a bit strange, cos otherwise you'd class it as being lightly damaged, when it was actually destroyed in game...

Grand Initiative (page 117)

Is there supposed to be a limit of 3 SD to grand initiative, like with tactics, or is it meant to be open?

Thraxis faction ability (page 99)

It is meant to be that you get a tactics dice whenever ANY player blitzes right? I assume that's right, but whats the fluff reason behind it? That Thraxis commanders are trained to react quickly to sudden changes on the battlefield?

And one softer question; how many rounds, approximately, have your campaign games lasted with the standard rules?

Anyway, thats it for now. Hopefully I'll get the chance to play a few random games before the end of this Uni year so I can give you guys a bit of feedback.

Cheers!

p.s. Thanks for all your podcasting shenanigans on Fear the Boot and the Podgecast, I doubt I would have ever finished my 40K army without all your random ramblings to keep me going!

david

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
Re: A few rules quibbles...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 06:28:48 AM »
Hey there fellas. I'm the newly minted chairman of the University of Sheffield Wargamers (thats UK btw boys!), and one of my goals for next year is to get more current students into the club (we've got a few too many oldies atm!). So one of my ideas was to get a game that new members can come in to play for free, without the massive sort of investment that 40k entails...so I'm gonna give Iron Tyrants a shot! Well, I already own the book, so this is also a way to force people to play with me!  ;D

I was going to try and answer the rules questions for you, but I guess I'd better let Luke do it.

But awesome on the other stuff! :P

Luke

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.podgecast.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »
Hey, man, thanks for supporting Iron Tyrants!

As for your questions:

1. Yes, if the chasis is gone then you'd classify the Tyrant as completely destroyed (so 3RP + 1RP for each weapon)
2. It is meant to be open.
3. Yup, when anyone blitzes.  Thraxis are excellent about turning an opponent's plan on itself and making their advantages weaknesses.

I wouldn't recommend jumping into the campaign without some games under your belt. And the campaign can run anywhere from a few sessions to tons depending on player skill. It's hard to say.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
"Everything I do is the attitude of an award winner because I've won an award.." - Ron Swanson

Mega Armoured Northener

• Outhouse Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 03:36:13 AM »
Hey thanks for the answers Luke (you can tell I'm a 40k player with all this rules wrangling, right?  :P ), and thanks for the kudos Adam...David...Adamvid?  (sorry, I'm sure that stopped being funny after the 100th time  :P )

Yeah the plan was for me to try and get a couple of games in before the end of the uni year, so I can get some practice, and then do some simple games for the new members we'll (hopefully) get after the Fresher's Fayre*. Then I guess that I'll increase the complexity over a few weeks and anyone who is still interested will get dragged into the campaign! I think it'll depend on how many non-warhammer new members we get. If we get a few members who don't have other games that they play, then some campaign action might be a bit more likely...well, we'll see.

Yeah the campaign length thing could be interesting. With the research rolls you've got the potential for someone to get really lucky and trigger the final battle after a few campaign turns, or for everyone to be really unlucky and never quite get the rolls needed, heh. Although after looking at the research-based assets you can get, if a player really wanted to, he could push research and get it done a lot faster. It'll be interesting to see...

*We call 1st years 'freshers' in the UK btw, so the Freshers Fayre is where the 1st years get introduced to all the societies on offer. You call 1st years sophomores or something in the US...don't you?

david

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 06:26:44 AM »
Our first years are Freshmen.  Our societies are frats (or sororities for the ladies).  And they don't offer, we pledge.  ;)

Joe

• The Podgefather
  • Thunderbox Revenant
  • josephlselby.com
    • View Profile
    • http://josephlselby.com
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 07:15:14 AM »
Our societies are frats

No they're not.
JosephLSelby.com, my professional writing website

What?! That would hurt and taste delicious at the same time! --TrapCast_Sara

david

• Administrator
  • Thunderbox Revenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 07:38:33 AM »
Our societies are frats

No they're not.

Yes, I'm sure our frats are substantially less useful.

Jake

• Burninator
  • Latrine Zombie
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 02:47:30 PM »
Mega Armoured Northener:

There are student organizations, of which fraternities and sororities (Greek organizations) are a distinct subgroup. Those non-fraternity groups are probably closer to what you'd refer to as societies.
When you make a mistake, do not be afraid of mending your ways. - Confucius

jame22

• Outhouse Attendant
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 04:59:30 AM by jame22 »